Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012


QUILT INSPIRATION

This is the quilt that inspired me to make a Grandmothers Flower Garden. It was made by my Grandmother, late 1940"s. It is hand pieced, of course, but has no batting and is tied to a background fabric, probably a sheet. I can remember asking her why it wasn't puffy and she said that she only made summer quilts, not winter quilts. She lived until she was 101 and even in her 90's  was still piecing blocks, mostly simple four patches and nine patches. I don't remember ever seeing one of hers made with half squares or quarter squares. Most were machine pieces and all were tied.


It looks like it is machine appliqued to the backing but it is done by hand with embroidery floss.






Mine are one inch hexies and hers are three quarter inches but it looks so much smaller. I wish I knew how long it took her to finish hers.

 I am surprised how much I have accomplished this week, I was able to finish 4 flowers and covered about 15 of the connecting hexies. Thank you Bonnie at Quiltville, for challenging me to the one hour a day with a needle and thread.

7 comments:

Nan said...

That's so cool! I'd like to do a Dresden Plate one day b/c that's the only family quilt I have - made by my great grandmother.

The Fibers of Life said...

I love this block and the hexies. I am working on one. It is my take along project of choice..I have all the in between hexes to do too. Love your colors.

Missy Shay said...

I got my grandmother's hexie quilt and it has inspired me to make one too!

Sarah said...

Both quilts are beautiful! I hope you'll consider joining my monthly HExie Linky Party - next one is 9/17/12!

Mayleen said...

I really like your colors! I'm also working on one but its my "take with me" hand project, very possibly will take me a really long time.

Jan said...

Your quilt is lovely! I grew up with all kinds of quilts that were tied and not quilted. It seems to be an Appalachian thing. My grandmother used batting and old blankets to fill hers. I think that the tying for her family may have been to speed up the process before the cold winters set in.

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

You are so lucky to have inherited such a beautiful quilt -what an inspiration for you. Gorgeous colours for summer.